What's in a song?
It's your song! It's the song that makes you think "us" and it's more than just something that's "danceable".
I can help you to choose a song but I'd rather you think about what song you both "know in your hearts" makes you think of each other whenever you hear it.
No song that you both like is a bad song choice...
Yes - I've heard that some dance teachers will steer you away from songs that they feel have no beat or aren't "dancing type songs".
But, seriously do you really want to be watching your wedding day video or looking through your pictures years from now and say to each other,
"Oh, yeah - remember that silly first dance song we danced to that the dance instructor said would be so perfect..." Probably not!
Here are some ideas below to get you started thinking about your first dance song:
Almost 50 Great Wedding Songs
Excerpted from "The Essential Guide to Gay & Lesbian Weddings" by Tess Ayers and Paul Brown
- "In My Life" - Lennon/McCartney
- "Here, There & Everywhere" - Lennon/McCartney
- "All of My Life" - Irving Berlin
- "Keep it Precious" - Melissa Etheridge
- "The Rose" - Amanda McBroom
- "Amazing Grace" - traditional
- "For Me & My Gal"- Leslie/Goetz/Meyer
- "Come Rain or Come Shine" - Mercer and Arlen
- "Zing Went the Strings of My Heart" - H. Arlen
- "Our Time" - Stephen Sondheim
- "Can't Help Falling in Love" -Weiss/Peretti/Creatore
- "There But for You Go I" - Lerner & Loewe
- "My Heart is So Full of You" - Frank Loesser
- "There is Nothing Like a Dame" - Rodgers & Hammerstein
- "Love Me Like a Man" - Chris Smither
- "It Had to Be You" - Jones/Kahn
- "Always" - Irving Berlin
- "Have I Told You Lately" - Van Morrison
- "If I Ever Needed Someone" - Van Morrison
- "Something to Talk About" - Shirley Eikhard
- "Book of Dreams" - Bruce Springsteen
- "If I Should Fall Behind" - Bruce Springsteen
- "For You" - Tracy Chapman
- "A Song for You" - Leon Russell
- "My Funny Valentine" - Rodgers and Hart
- "You Are So Beautiful to Me" - George & Ira Gershwin
- "Our Love is Here to Stay" - Billy Preston
- "If We Only Have Love" - Jacques Brel
- "Hawaiian Wedding Song" - Charles King
- "A Simple Song" - Schwartz and Bernstein
- "Still Thrives This Love" - k. d. lang & Ben Mink
- "If Not for You" - Bob Dylan
- "When You Wish upon a Star" - Harline and Washington
- "Stand by Your Man" - Wynette and Sherrill
- "Try a Little Tenderness" - Woods/Campbell/ Connelly
- "Stand by Me" - King & Glick
- "Your Song" - Elton John
- "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff
- "True Companion" - Marc Cohn
- "Crazy for You" - George and Ira Gershwin
- "I Live for Your Love" - Allen Rich
- "Just in Time" - Comden/Green/Styne
- "Simple Song" - Bernstein and Schwartz
- "Anyone Would Love You" - Harold Rome
- "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" - Lauper and Hyman
- "True Love Ways" - Buddy Holly
- "One Hand, One Heart" - Leonard Bernstein
- "As Long As I Have a Heart" - Kathy Mattea
- "Love Don't Need a Reason" - Allen/Callen/Malamet
The Gay Wedding Collection from Amazon.com
Got The Music In Me" by Michael Abernethy
My couples have chosen any music that highlights their relationship and they agree is fun to dance to!
I've had first dance songs from:
"Could I Have This Dance" to "Ice Cream" to "Wouldn't It Nice".
I will choreograph a dance to any song you bring in to me.
In fact, if you're not sure - bring in a couple of songs and we can work with them all and see which one is really the two of you.